Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, who allegedly guided 10 LeT gunmen from a control room during the 26/11 Mumbai attack, on Friday walked free after being under detention for six years, a day after a Pakistani court ordered his release.
India on Friday lodged a strong protest over the release of Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, a prime accused in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, saying the “negative development” reinforced the perception that Pakistan has a dual policy on dealing with terrorists.
“Our High Commissioner has registered our strong concerns with the Foreign Secretary of Pakistan at the release of a principal accused in the Mumbai terrorist attack of 2008,” the External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson said. “He underlined that this has reinforced the perception that Pakistan has a dual policy on dealing with terrorists and those who have carried out attacks or are posing a threat to India are being dealt with differently and emphasised that this is a most negative development in so far as bilateral ties are concerned,” he said.
“This is an insult to the victims of 26/11 terror attack. Global community must take note of Pakistan’s double standards in dealing with terrorism,” a senior Home Ministry official said.
Earlier, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, on the sidelines of an event in Lucknow said, “India wants talks with Pakistan but the present development (release of Lakhvi) is unfortunate and disappointing.” External Affairs Ministry has yesterday made it clear that it will raise the issue with Pakistan, saying the release of the UN-designated terrorist has “eroded” the value of assurances repeatedly conveyed to it by Pakistan on cross- border terrorism. 55-year-old Lakhvi, mastermind of the nearly 60-hour siege, was released from Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi after authorities received the order from the Lahore High Court, setting free the LeT operations commander.